We are happy to announce our new album ‘It’s None Of Your Business’ to be released October 2021 on Madfish
It’s None Of Your Business is our first album since Paradise Filter (2013) and features nine new songs plus one instrumental track influenced, to a degree, by the events and restrictions placed on society over the past 18 months.
The album was recorded, as restrictions allowed, ‘in the old-fashioned way’ between 24th June and 4th July 2021 at Rimshot Studio, Bredgar near Sittingbourne. “Sitting round in a circle having eye to eye contact, a large sound room was required,” Pye Hastings explained. “I much prefer this method because you can bounce ideas off each other as they occur, and voice encouragement when the whole thing begins to click.
“And it is much more rewarding to be able to throw insults at each other in person rather than down a telephone line or via email. This is something we are all very experienced at, believe me!”
This togetherness characterises It’s None Of Your Business with Caravan’s trademark warmth and humour and, also, a sensitivity reflecting the times in which we are living. Sitting among Caravan’s typically whimsical tales Down From London and If I Was To Fly sit the heartfelt and poignant Spare A Thought and Every Precious Little Thing which looks forward to a return to normality.
“’Spare a Thought’ is a song that I hope will jog people to remember those unfortunate people caught up in the pandemic,” Hastings explains. “‘All those people who denied’ refers to the idiots who don’t follow the scientific advice. I get angry about that and the line ‘Sure are interesting times’ refers to an old Chinese saying: ‘may you live in interesting times’”
“Lyrics can sometimes be my Achilles Heel, trying to find anything meaningful to write about. But sitting in front of a blank screen with a pandemic raging all around, it was hard not to be influenced by the dreadful events going on. The lockdown certainly focused the mind when it came to writing the lyrics.”
It’s None Of Your Business cover and artwork has been created by renowned illustrator Bob Venables.
** The album is out: CD format out 8th October 2021 (15th October in Germany & Austria) and as a vinyl LP, on 5th November.
It’s None Of Your Business Track Listing:
Down From London (4.03)
Wishing You Were Here (3.55)
It’s None Of Your Business (9.40)
Ready Or Not (4.45)
Spare A Thought (4.06)
Every Precious Little Thing (4.25)
If I Was To Fly (3.23)
I’ll Reach Out For You (8.07)
There Is You (4.26)
Luna’s Tuna (3.14)
Produced, engineered and mastered by Julian Hastings with assistant engineer Mike Thorne.
We are delighted to announce that we are working with instant recording specialists Concert Live to produce a live recording of Caravan’s gig at Shepherds Bush Empire on the 8th October 2011. Continue reading →
Caravan packed the house last night at Shepherds Bush Empire in London for a special treat of classics from the legendary album In The Land of Grey and Pink including a rare performance of the title track itself. Continue reading →
To celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the release of Caravan’s In The Land Of Grey And Pink Universal is pleased to announce a special three-disc deluxe edition of the album. The original multi-track session and album masters have been revisited by Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield) who has prepared new stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound mixes.
Disc One features the original album newly remastered by Paschal Byrne at The Audio Archive plus three new Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson.
Disc Two features two previously unreleased versions of “It Doesn’t Take A Lot” and “Nigel Blows A Tune” plus four non-album tracks remixed by Wilson Disc two also includes three songs recorded live for BBC radio’s Sounds of the Seventies – “Love To Love You” “Love Song Without Flute” and “In The Land Of Grey And Pink” plus two songs recorded live for John Peel’s Sunday Concert which included a superb cover version of Soft Machine’s “Feelin’ Reelin’ Squealin’” and Caravan’s own magnum opus “Nine Feet Underground”. Disc Three is a DVD featuring the brand new 5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo mix of the album plus two performances recorded for German TV’s Beat Club in June 1971. “Golf Girl” was broadcast at the time but “Winter Wine” has never been seen.
01. Golf Girl (5.01) 02. Winter Wine (7.36) 03. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) (3.03) 04. In The Land of Grey and Pink (5.00) 05. Nine Feet Underground (22.43) a. Nigel Blows A Tune b. Love’s a Friend c. Make it 76 d. Dance of the Seven Paper Hankies e. Hold Granddad by The Nose f. Honest I Did ! g. Disassociation h. 100% Proof
6. Frozen Rose (I Don’t Know It’s Name Alias The Word) [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (6.08) * 7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) – First Version [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (3.26) ** 8. Nine Feet Underground (Alternate Version) [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (22.39) **
* Previously Unreleased Mix ** Previously Unreleased Version
01. Aristocracy – S. Wilson Stereo Mix (3.15) * 02. It Doesn’t Take A Lot (3.14) ** 03. Love To Love You (And Pigs Will Fly) – Extended Version [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (3.21) * 04. It’s Likely To Have A Title Next Week (Winter Wine Instrumental) [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (7.48) * 05. Nigel Blows A Tune – First Version (5.51) ** 06. Group Girl (Golf Girl – First Version) [S. Wilson Stereo Mix] (5.14) * 07. Love Song Without Flute – Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.33) 08. In The Land of Grey and Pink – Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.44) 09. Love To Love You (And Pigs Will Fly) – Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.12) 10. Nine Feet Underground – John Peel Sunday Concert (14.27) 11. Feelin’ Reelin’ Squeelin’ – John Peel Sunday Concert (9.30)
* Previously Unreleased Mix ** Previously Unreleased Version
Disc Three (DVD)
Side A – 5.1 Surround
01. Golf Girl [S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix] (5.04) * 02. Winter Wine [S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix] (7.37) * 03. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) [S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix] (3.05) * 04. In The Land of Grey and Pink [S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix] (5.01) * 05. Nine Feet Underground [S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix] (22.40) * a. Nigel Blows A Tune b. Love’s a Friend c. Make it 76 d. Dance of the Seven Paper Hankies e. Hold Granddad by The Nose f. Honest I Did ! g. Disassociation h. 100% Proof
* Previously Unreleased Mix
Side B – Videos
01. Golf Girl from Beat Club – Germany [Broadcast – June 1971] 02. Winter Wine from Beat Club – Germany [Recorded but never before seen – June 1971]